HOMEOPATHY AND POTS
What is POTS?
I must admit I had never heard of this condition until a few years ago and I was surprised at the number of patients I have seen with this diagnosis.
Postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS) is a condition that affects circulation (blood flow).
Symptoms occur when standing up from a reclining position, and may be relieved by sitting or lying back down. The primary symptom of an orthostatic intolerance is lightheadedness, fainting and an uncomfortable, rapid increase in heartbeat. Symptoms include:
- High/low blood pressure.
- High/low heart rate; racing heart rate.
- Chest pain.
- Dizziness/lightheadedness especially in standing up, prolonged standing in one position, or long walks.
- Fainting or near-fainting.
- Abdominal pain and bloating, nausea.
- Temperature deregulation (hot or cold).
- Nervous, jittery feeling.
- Forgetfulness and trouble focusing (brain fog).
- Blurred vision.
- Headaches and body pain/aches (may feel flu-like); neck pain.
- Insomnia and frequent awakenings from sleep, chest pain and racing heart rate during sleep, excessive sweating.
- Shakiness/tremors especially with adrenaline surges.
- Discoloration of feet and hands.
- Exercise intolerance.
- Excessive or lack of sweating.
- Diarrhea and/or constipation.
The problem with these symptoms is that they seem to be so unpredictable, appear and desappear suddenly, with no apparent reason.
Conventional medicine doesn’t seem to offer much in terms of treatment, apart from tackling symptoms as they arise. So what can homeopathy do?
Because blood flow is one of the main issues, the remedy Aconite is one of the most common remedies used to alleviate the symptoms, particularly when they appear suddenly, which increases the heart beat rate and the sense of dread in the patient. Anxiety can be a big feature in cases of POTS.
Aconite has an affinity with blood flow, which is why is a very useful remedy for heart palpitations, panic attacks or any condition when the patient feels like they are in mortal danger and the fight-or-flight reaction is activated.
Another useful remedy that can work very well is Argentum Nitricum. This remedy is very important when the main feeling is that “everything can go wrong at any moment” and there is great anticipatory anxiety and irrational fears.
Sepia is very effective when the symptoms affect the lower back and urinary tract, with irritability and nausea.
As always, the remedy has to match the totality of the symptoms and each individual is different. However, the difference in the patient after a few months of homeopathic treatment can be remarkable.